Hand Therapy is the art and science of rehabilitation of the upper limb – shoulder to hand.
It involves evaluation and testing to assess the injured limb from which a specific treatment program can be designed. A variety of specialised treatment techniques are used to achieve these goals.
Hand Therapists have, through further education, clinical experience and independent study, become proficient in the treatment of upper limb conditions resulting from injury, disease or deformity. We are also associate members of the Australian Hand Therapy Association (AHTA).
Who will benefit from hand therapy?
Any person who has a problem with any part of their upper limb may benefit from hand therapy. These include:
- Fractures, joint injuries and dislocations
- Nerve compression’s eg. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Nerve and tendon injuries
- Tendinitis or other soft tissue injuries eg. Tennis elbow
- Sporting injuries
- Work related injuries
- Skin grafts and flaps
- Post-surgical conditions
- Congenital abnormalities
- Problems with writing or performing other hand related activities